Friday, August 3, 2012

Sheepdog Every Day Carry (EDC)

Peep and I both carry EDC bags or as we sometimes call them, 'Get Home' bags.  The idea in addition to the EDC concept is to be prepared to get home from work in the event of an emergency even if we have to abandon the vehicle and walk.  Peep and I are constantly altering and adjusting our bags.  Almost every day we decide to carry an additional item or remove something.  We often tailor the bag to what we might be doing that day or where we might be going.  Items also change through the seasons.  For example, in the winter I would probably have some HeatMax Hot Hands and other items related to cold weather survival.  Below I'll describe what I carried today in the 85 degree August heat.




Contents:
  • Spiderwire sunglasses - Very necessary in summer and winter.
  • Bandanna - Yes that bandanna has skulls and hearts on it cause nothing says friendly prepper like skulls and hearts. A bandanna has many uses, dust mask, tourniquet, bandage, sling...
  • Hat - Shelter for your head and the visor is handy in the sun.
  • Mechanix Wear Impact Pro Gloves - I love these gloves.  I shoot with them all the time.  They are very form fitting and grip everything very well.
  • Cobra Microtalk 16 mile Walkie Talkie - Peep has the other one and we would use these if the phone systems were down.  Powered by AAA batteries.
  • Coleman LED Flashlight - Very bright, 90 lumens, strong aluminum case, wrist strap and powered by AAA batteries.
  • Lighter - You never know when you may need to start a fire or frey stop nylon.
  • Gerber Suspension Multi Tool - Chose this for the price but am very happy with it and use it often.
  • Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm - I conceal carry every day, everywhere.  Just part of the sheepdog philosophy.
  • Extra Magazine - Just in case.
  • Camillus Carbonitride Titanium Knife - Very nice knife.  Open assist, Japanese AUS 8 steel blade 3.8 inches and is very sharp all the time.
  • Energizer Crank FM/AM/Siren Radio Flashlight - Gotta love crank power and it doubles as an extra flashlight.
  • Notepad
  • Pen
  • Permanent Marker
  • Wallet
  • Check book
  • Keys
  • Money Clip and Cards
  • Phone
  • Phone Charger
  • Water Bottle
  • Sunscreen
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • Chapstick
  • First Aid Bag - I put together my own first aid kit in a sandwich bag
  • Kleenex
  • 2 Ponchos
  • Energy Bar
Things to note:
  • I'm able to wear sneakers to work or I would have a pair in this bag.
  • I keep a large stock of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries and purposefully buy gadgets that require them (flashlights, radios, weapon lights, illuminated sights, everything).
  • For awhile now I have been using a small shoulder bag but recently I was at Walmart and saw this little tactical looking back pack for $20. It's much more feature rich than my shoulder bag so I had to try it. It has an internal camel back pouch and lots of places for my molle accessories.  I doubt it conforms exactly to molle spec though...

No comments:

Post a Comment